- 🔄 Tesla reported weak earnings, leading to a 12% stock drop after a criticized conference call.
- 🔍 Analyst Dan Ives suggests 10 turnaround ideas for Tesla’s stock recovery.
- 💰 One idea is a $10 billion share buyback to instill investor confidence.
- 🧠 Proposes creating an “X Holding” structure for AI initiatives, giving Elon Musk more control.
- 📈 Recommends halting price cuts to maintain profit margins over other auto players.
- 🗓 Urges Tesla to hold an AI Day before summer to clarify goals for Dojo, Optimus, FSD.
- 🌐 Suggests getting external capital for X/Twitter with assurances of no more Musk stock sales.
- 🎯 Calls for a clear production/delivery timeline for Model 2 and sub $30k vehicle in 2025.
- 📊 Advocates returning to formal guidance and goalposts in conference calls after CFO changes.
- 🤖 Encourages aggressive AI acquisitions using Tesla’s substantial cash reserves.
- 🎯 Proposes giving long-term targets around AI revenue, positioning Tesla as a leading AI company.
The electric vehicle giant, Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA), recently faced a tumultuous period, marked by weak earnings and a subsequent 12% stock drop after a conference call that drew widespread criticism. However, amidst the challenges, there’s a glimmer of hope as Wedbush analyst Dan Ives presents a compelling list of 10 turnaround ideas to steer Tesla back on the path to success.
1. A $10 Billion Share Buyback to Restore Confidence
In times of uncertainty, instilling confidence in investors is crucial. Ives suggests a bold move – a $10 billion share buyback utilizing Tesla’s substantial cash reserves. This strategic financial maneuver aims to signal strength and commitment to stakeholders.
2. Empowering Elon Musk with an “X Holding” Structure
To streamline decision-making and provide visionary Elon Musk with more control, Ives proposes the establishment of an “X Holding” structure. This framework would include key AI initiatives such as Dojo, Optimus, and FSD, aligning Tesla’s future with Musk’s innovative prowess.
3. Halting Price Cuts for Profit Margin Stability
While price cuts may be enticing for consumers, Ives advises Tesla to halt this strategy temporarily. By maintaining profit margins over other auto players, Tesla can ensure sustained financial health and continue its stronghold in the market.
4. A Timely AI Day to Illuminate Future Goals
In the ever-evolving realm of artificial intelligence, Ives emphasizes the importance of a pre-summer AI Day. This event would provide investors with a deeper understanding of Tesla’s goals for Dojo, Optimus, and FSD, fostering transparency and trust.
5. Securing External Capital for X/Twitter with Assurance
Addressing concerns related to Elon Musk’s stock sales, Ives suggests seeking external capital for X/Twitter. This move not only ensures financial stability but also eliminates uncertainties arising from Musk’s stock dealings, offering reassurance to investors.
6. A New Compensation Package for Elon Musk
To align Elon Musk’s interests with the company’s long-term vision, Ives proposes a new compensation package. This not only serves as a retention strategy but also addresses recent comments from Musk regarding the development of AI, providing the necessary control for such endeavors.
7. Clear Production/Delivery Timeline for Model 2 and Sub $30k Vehicle
Setting clear and achievable goals is paramount. Ives recommends establishing a hittable production/delivery timeline for Model 2 and a sub $30k vehicle by 2025. This forward-looking approach provides investors with a roadmap for Tesla’s future endeavors.
8. Revamping Conference Call Practices
Acknowledging recent challenges in conference calls, Ives advocates for a return to formal guidance and goalposts. With a change in messaging strategies, Tesla can enhance communication and rebuild investor confidence, especially in the absence of the former CFO.
9. Aggressive AI Acquisition Strategy
With a significant cash reserve at Tesla’s disposal, Ives proposes an aggressive AI acquisition spree. This strategic move would not only enhance Tesla’s AI capabilities but also position the company as a dominant force in the AI landscape.
10. Long-Term Targets for AI Revenue
Looking beyond the immediate future, Ives suggests providing long-term targets around AI revenue. By outlining Tesla’s ambitions in FSD, autonomous driving, Dojo, Optimus, and robotaxis, the company can present itself as a formidable player in the global AI arena.
In conclusion, Tesla’s journey to recovery involves a multi-faceted approach, encompassing financial strategies, leadership empowerment, and transparent communication. As the electric vehicle industry continues to evolve, Tesla’s adaptability and commitment to innovation remain crucial for a resilient future.