- 📡 Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite internet system is available in the Philippines and is changing lives by providing high-speed internet to indigenous communities.
- 🌐 Starlink is currently being used to connect communities from the Blaan Tribe, whose settlements are in remote locations and guided by oral traditions.
- 🚀 80% of the tribal communities in the area are between 12 to 20 years old, and Starlink’s connectivity helps them connect with the rest of the world and preserve their rich cultural heritage.
- 💻 So far, Starlink has provided satellite internet systems to 12 isolated indigenous communities, with plans to expand to the entire city of Koronadal.
- 💲 SpaceX is making efforts to grow its subscriber base in the Philippines by offering a promotion that cuts the price of the Starlink kit until the end of August 2023.
Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite internet service has already made its presence felt in the Philippines, and it’s making a significant impact on the lives of the people there. Recent social media posts reveal that Starlink is actively providing high-speed internet access to indigenous communities in the country.
Mayor Eliordo Ogena of Koronadal, a small city in the Philippines, shared on Twitter that the satellite internet system is connecting communities from the Blaan Tribe, an indigenous group whose settlements are located in remote areas. The Blaan tribe still holds onto their cultural heritage through oral traditions passed down from their elders, and they are well-known for their exquisite brass and beadwork.
As per Ogena in his Twitter post, what’s remarkable about the tribal communities in his area is the fact that 80% are around 12 to 20 years old. At such an age, it is pertinent for them to be connected to the rest of the world. While this was not possible with the country’s traditional ISPs, Starlink is able to provide high-speed internet connectivity even to the tribes’ remote settlements.
“Guided by the oral stories and wonderful live performances of their tribal elders, our young people from these faraway Philippine indigenous communities can now, with Starlink connectivity, connect the rest of the world to the heart and soul of their rich cultural heritage. Remarkably, 80% of our young vibrant tribal community are 12 to 20 years old,” the Mayor wrote.
The Mayor noted that so far, Starlink satellite internet systems have been provided to 12 isolated indigenous communities. Eventually, the initiative is expected to be expanded to the entire city of Koronadal.
Starlink is putting in some effort to grow its subscriber base in the Philippines. Just recently, SpaceX rolled out a promotion in the country that cuts the price of the satellite internet kit by 31%. With the promotion, a Starlink kit can be purchased for just Php 19,999 instead of its regular price of Php 29,320. The promotion is available until the end of August 2023.